Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Customize This

I love it when a potential customer takes the time to ask me a question when they find almost, but not quite what they want in one of my shops, on my blog or in one of my facebook photo albums. Since my items are handmade, I am often able to accommodate these requests. Some of the requests that I have received involve changing the color of a particular component of an item, making multiples of an item that they liked or giving me some general dimensions, colors and elements that they want in the custom item. Unfortunately there are times that I don’t have the correct raw materials on hand or the time to tackle a large custom order, especially if asked during the height of the holiday retail season, but I’m always excited to try to help the people that take the time to write to me.

If I know that I have a variety of materials that will allow me to customize the color of an element in an item, I will include a photo in my listings of several possibilities along with a comment asking the shopper to contact me about the color availability of their choice. Such a request led me to adding tagua nut flying pig pins to my EclecticSkeptic shop since I could not find shell beads (pictured) in the desired color. Tagua nut is a sustainably harvested product that is a great ivory substitute and can be dyed a variety of colors. Recently I was pleased that I had the raw materials on hand to make as many multiples as needed of a different type of flying pig pin that someone saw in a listing, liked and wrote to me about.

So please don’t hesitate to send me an inquiry if you like an item of mine but it doesn’t quite have everything that you are looking for or need more than what is currently listed for sale. I welcome your inquiries and promise to see if I can create for you, the vision that you have in your head. Many other artisans feel the same way. You’ll never know if you don’t ask.

No comments:

Post a Comment