Thursday, March 14, 2013

Pi Day 2013

The math and science geek in me gets a kick out of Pi Day (March fourteenth = 3.14) being celebrated around the globe and reported on mainstream news. Even if the image that is conjured in your head when you hear “Pi Day” involves celebrating baked apples, flaky crust and vanilla ice cream, you probably can dredge up memories of geometry class and calculating the circumference of circles. It is even possible that when your teacher introduced the class to the equation C = πr2, that the class smart aleck blurted out, “But pie aren’t square, pie are round!” Pi can be found in a host of other math equations and ones used in physics as well.

This got me thinking that I have been remiss about having pi items in my geekery section of my EclecticSkeptic Etsy shop. I do have other math and science themed items. However I am going to have to think about coming up with pi goodies for the math geek too. I do have several items for the music geek and since music and math have many connections such as the fibonacci sequence, I wondered if pi might be one of them. What I found on a search for a use of pi in music was a range of songs that have been created from the use of the digits comprising pi.

It seems that people from all walks of life are having fun with Pi Day. At the very least, you should grab a piece of your favorite pie to join in the celebration. After all, pies are round.

2 comments:

  1. We did celebrate pi day at my house with a pie, but I did add a pi symbol to the top! (http://julieiscocoandcocoa.blogspot.com/2013/03/pie-day.html)

    And I got really excited when I realized in two years the date will be 3.14.15.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool way to combine the mathematical pi and eating pie. Great observation regarding the date of pi day in two years.

    ReplyDelete