Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Great Backyard Bird Count Montage

This year during the Great Backyard Bird Count I realized that I have never shared any of my results with my readers and decided I needed to change that. Below you will see a montage of some of the birds that I saw during this year's count. A few of the photos were taken during the count but most of them were taken previously. Click on the montage to enlarge it.


(birds in the montage - center: immature Red-tailed Hawk; clockwise from top left: Dark-eyed Junco, Mourning Dove, White-winged Dove, baby Eastern Bluebird, female Northern Cardinal, male Northern Cardinal, Blue Jay, Carolina Wren, Red-bellied Woodpecker, Ruby-crowned Kinglet, Field Sparrow and House Finch)

Following is a list of all of the birds that I was able to identify during this year's count: Black Vulture, Turkey Vulture, Red-tailed Hawk, American Kestrel, American Crow, Northern Mockingbird, Northern Cardinal, Blue Jay, European Starling, House Sparrow, Field Sparrow, House Finch, Dark-eyed Junco, Mourning Dove, White-winged Dove, Eurasian Collared Dove, Eastern Bluebird, Carolina Wren, Ruby-crowned Kinglet, Red-bellied Woodpecker and Cedar Waxwing.

If you participated this year, I hope you had fun. If not I hope this post is inspiration for you to do so next year. If you have been hesitant to count because you are unsure you can identify enough species of birds, I have a great new, free app for you from Cornell Labs, Merlin. It is different than flipping through pages and pages of a field guide and I found it to be very easy to use.

No comments:

Post a Comment